FRFR needed for UAFX pedals

clau_77

Hi guys

I have both Dream 65 and Lion 68 I cannot be happier than this about the sound and the quality I am getting from those pedals.
The question is about the need or not for a FRFR. Let me explain first my situation:
I play at home and with a full band and in both situation I look for best audio solution to enjoy the most.

At the moment I am using my Dream and Lion into my Fishman loudbox artist directly into AUX IN and I got really really good tone. Even with the band the Fishman is enough loud to let me play and just in case I need more volume I can send it to the PA via the DI and have more volume while using it as monitor.

My question is: can I consider the Fishman a FRFR cabinet?

I read the specs and It has:
Frequency Response 80Hz – 20kHz (-4dB),
SPL @ 1 Meter 113dB SPL
8" woofer + a1" Tweeter

Looking on some online shops I checked several FRFR such as Headrush, Line 6 and many other and the specs of them are similar to the Fishman I have so I am assuming I do not need a power cab/FRFR to get the most out of my pedals?

Thanks in advance.

d0gmA

You just said what you have works. Why question it ? Since it has a tweeter it would be considered full range but flat response I highly doubt but if it works then i wouldn't question it and move on.

LouisC

Venerated Member
.... and Fishman are a very well liked and relatively well established company in the acoustic music transducer and preamp scenes around the world. They always strive for fidelity and transparency right the way through their signal chain. I don't know their cabinets but i wouldn't expect them to be anything other than great for all timbres.

clau_77

Thanks guys for the quick response. As a guitar nerd and addicted to GAS I am always thinks that maybe there is a better solution for what I have that is why I asked. I came to the same response you gave me based on what I hear and specs.
To my ears it sounds fantastic, just wanted to be sure I do not need a frfr since the Fishman is doing perfectly what I need.
C.

Eric Dahlberg

Purveyor of musical dreams fullfilled.
Yes, you can consider the Fishman or any other acoustic amp, keyboard amp, or PA speaker to be an FRFR. Obviously, there will be different levels of quality and application but they're all attempting to do the same thing, which is to reproduce the source as accurately as possible.

clau_77

Thanks again. Today I did another test the Lion into the Fishman aux in and it sounds amazing. I can crank the amp at bedroom level and got all the incredible sound from the pedal. Unbelievable! For me (tube guy) this is absolutely game changer.

jaeger28

If you're happy with your monitor tone that is great, what else would you want?
If you have a larger gig you should anyways check up front on the first chords you hear after the sound man has set the gain if your base tone is right. I'd rather tell the sound guy to wait a second and do a quick tweak on my pedal before he starts EQing.

clau_77

If you're happy with your monitor tone that is great, what else would you want?
If you have a larger gig you should anyways check up front on the first chords you hear after the sound man has set the gain if your base tone is right. I'd rather tell the sound guy to wait a second and do a quick tweak on my pedal before he starts EQing.
Agree. Thanks for answering

MakerDP

Hall of Fame Member
For reference if anyone else is wondering about FRFR, I can say the Fender FR-12 sounds really good. I use it with my Tonex setup and the thing I really love about it is I have EQ controls right there on the amp to adjust for different venues without having to dig into presets/global EQ on the Tonex.

klasaine

Hall of Fame Member
For reference if anyone else is wondering about FRFR, I can say the Fender FR-12 sounds really good. I use it with my Tonex setup and the thing I really love about it is I have EQ controls right there on the amp to adjust for different venues without having to dig into presets/global EQ on the Tonex.
I’ve been eyeing those for awhile now.

MakerDP

Hall of Fame Member
I’ve been eyeing those for awhile now.
Yeah I really love it. To top it off it has the classy Fender amp looks and the tilt-back legs. All in all a great value for something of this quality.

I've been using an EV ZLX12 for over a decade now. It's an absolute tank and it sounds great. Not as good as our QSC K12.2's mind you but I got mine as a scratch and dent b-stock for like $250 and it's absolutely given me my money's worth.

If I had to knock it, I would say that the low end is a bit much for just guitar so I usually roll off the low end either with whatever modeler I'm using or an MXR 10 band EQ pedal. Other than that, it's so good and I like using a good speaker sim into the ZLX than a power amp and 1x12 guitar cab.

clau_77

I've been using an EV ZLX12 for over a decade now. It's an absolute tank and it sounds great. Not as good as our QSC K12.2's mind you but I got mine as a scratch and dent b-stock for like $250 and it's absolutely given me my money's worth.

If I had to knock it, I would say that the low end is a bit much for just guitar so I usually roll off the low end either with whatever modeler I'm using or an MXR 10 band EQ pedal. Other than that, it's so good and I like using a good speaker sim into the ZLX than a power amp and 1x12 guitar cab.
I found myself lowering the bass pretty much on my dream when used via the Fishman.

thank for your post anyway😀

okcomputer

Definitely stick to what works for you. Only reason I would get something else would be if the Fishman isn't loud enough. I have the Headrush FRFR 12" and it's amazingly loud. I usually only have it on 2 at home, and 4 at rehearsals or onstage.

I think because you do not have to see 8” as it was a guitar amplifier but as a frfr able to replicate a large range of frequencies.
That’s my idea, I am not sure it’s correct 😅
Yeah they have to be different than normal guitar speakers. The 10" woofer in our QSC K10's are also really deep vs a normal guitar speaker.

Eric Dahlberg

Purveyor of musical dreams fullfilled.
It's because we guitar players are so dumb set in our ways that we demand the most outdated, inefficient speakers possible.

MakerDP

Hall of Fame Member
It's because we guitar players are so dumb set in our ways that we demand the most outdated, inefficient speakers possible.
That's Rock-n-Roll baby!!!

UAD Bundle Month