Ox box to interface

BEDROOMPLAYER

Hi,
I own the ox box and I want to use it for home recording using only headphones but i don’t know how to connect it to my interface. At present i have a focusrite solo 3td gen although I’m considering the apollo solo.
I tried going from the ox box line out to the focusrite output with a simple guitar cable but nothing happened.
I’m a newbie. Can you please tell me step by step what to do?
Thanks a lot

Last edited:

Matt Hepworth

Master of the UADiverse
Forum Admin
An instrument cable should work. Just go from the Left Line/Mon out to the line in on the Solo. I believe headphones need to be unplugged, but I can't recall since I don't use the headphones from the Ox.

UniversalAudio

Official UA Representative
An instrument cable should work. Just go from the Left Line/Mon out to the line in on the Solo. I believe headphones need to be unplugged, but I can't recall since I don't use the headphones from the Ox.
No need to disconnect HPs, all outs are active at the same time.

BEDROOMPLAYER

Thank you guys. It works but it sounds a little different than the Ox headphones. Does the line out picks both microphones?
I am also wondering if upgrading to apollo twin and playing/recording with spdif it is worth. Does it lead to better results in terms of sound quality? Thanks

rjjuly

I wouldn’t spend on a twin just for that - difference is negligible. Opinions differ - some prefer analog outs, others spdif. For me any difference is barely noticeable. I use spdif to save on analog inputs.

- Richard

BEDROOMPLAYER

Thank you, Richard. I don’t understand if the line out picks both microphones because it sounds different than the headphones out of the OX

UniversalAudio

When you listen via headphones, you're "hearing" the headphones as well. When you listen with speakers, you're "hearing" the speakers and the room you're in.

All outs of OX are the EXACT same signal.

BEDROOMPLAYER

When you listen via headphones, you're "hearing" the headphones as well. When you listen with speakers, you're "hearing" the speakers and the room you're in.

All outs of OX are the EXACT same signal.
I know it. I was referring to the difference between the headphones out of the ox and the OX via the headphones out of the audio interface

UniversalAudio

I know it. I was referring to the difference between the headphones out of the ox and the OX via the headphones out of the audio interface
How are you getting into the interface?

In this scenario, you're now using the interface's D/A.

UniversalAudio

Instrument cable Feom Left Line/Mon out to the line in on the interface
So with this setup, you're doing multiple D/A and A/Ds, one set of which is clearly lower quality than OX.

I'd switch to a digital connection between OX and the interface if it has one.

jwalker9999

Established Member
Fyi, i have also said the OX headphone listening experience is better than the analogue or spdif output.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UniversalAudio

I have even recorded from the headphone out because it sounds better, warmer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OX uses a multi channel DAC so the line outs and headphones are the exact same converters, so you likely prefer the coloration the headphone amp adds.

Nothing wrong with liking a "distorted" version of what OX does, it's the backbone of the guitar world afterall.

UAD Bundle Month